Ten Handy Facts About The 2010 World Cup
It's all over for four more years and Spain have won the trophy for the first time. Listed here are some of the major happenings and the less well known after five weeks in South Africa,
1. Spain became the first team to lift the World Cup after losing their opening game. West Germany were also beaten in 1974 but not in the opener.
2, New Zealand ended the tournament as the only undefeated side, emulating Scotland in 1974 who also failed to get out of group despite not losing a game
3.Miroslav Klose now has 14 goals at the finals- five in 2002, five in 2006 and another four in South Africa
4.Gonzalo Higuain of Argentina scored the only hat-trick of the finals, notching three against South Korea
5. Only two of the sixteen knockout matches went to penalties. That compares to four in 2006, two in 2002 and three in 1998.
6. This was the first final without any of the 'Big 4'-Brazil, Argentina , Italy and Germany
7. Holland are now the only nation to lose three finals without winning the competition
8. Yet again Germany went further in the competition than England. That has happened 11 times since 1966
9. Iker Casillas is the third goalkeeper to captain the winning country
10.Spain became the first European team to win outside Europe