Arsenal: Five reasons why Wenger should get Clint Dempsey
The American international has been on Liverpool's radar all summer but Brendan Rodgers has yet to make an official move. Everton have also been keeping tabs on Dempsey's availability and this morning Aston Villa agreed terms with Fulham, but it appears that the player is not interested in a move to Villa Park.
However, Dempsey would surely be attracted by the chance to play for Arsenal, and Arsene Wenger should be interested in what Dempsey can offer. With £40 million burning a whole in his pocket following the sales of Robin van Persie and Alex Song, Wenger can go out and pick up a bargain.
Here are five reasons why Arsenal should sign Clint Dempsey.
1. Is there a better goalscoring midfielder in the country at this moment in time than Clint Dempsey? The American scored 23 goals in all competitions last season. That's a phenomenal return. Whether it's with his head or inside or outside of the box, Dempsey has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. With Arsenal struggling for goals this season, Dempsey could take a huge weight off of the shoulders of Giroud and Podolski.
2. For about £10 million, Dempsey would be an absolute steal. Although he is 29, Dempsey represents a good bit of business. Just like Arteta last season, Dempsey is a seasoned pro in the Premier League and would bring experience to the squad. Cazorla looks like a great player but his goal return is not great. Dempsey would guarantee Arsenal at least 10 goals a season.
3. Versatility. Dempsey can play in a number of attacking positions and would give Wenger the option of changing it if things weren't going right. Comfortable on the left, right, behind the striker or up top, Dempsey would provide much needed quality competition for places.
4. Champions League football. Unlike Liverpool, Everton or Villa, Arsenal are the only team who could offer Dempsey the chance of playing Champions League football. Although this is not really a reason why Wenger should go out and buy him, it would be a major pull in bringing him to the club. He has European experience and would allow Wenger to keep his squad fresh for domestic matters. Not forgetting that it wouldn't cause him that much disruption personally to remain in the capital.
5. His strength and determination. Arsenal have long been accused of being toothless tigers, Dempsey would give the team some bite. He has played through the pain of a broken jaw and sprained ankles, and is not afraid to put a boot in. With Song out of the way, Arsenal really only have Diaby to rely on for brute force. Dempsey could help him further up the field. His dribbling skills also lead to many defenders bringing him down, which could be a real asset to capitalise on Arteta's free-kick skills.
Arsene Wenger surprised many fans last year with the late deal to bring Arteta to the Emirates. He could surprise us again. It's unlikely but you'd like to think that Wenger can still see that his squad could do with a few more new faces. In my eyes, Dempsey would be an ideal fit.
Calling all Arsenal fans: Would you like to see Dempsey at the Emirates? Will Wenger splash the cash before the window closes tonight? Who would you like to see at Arsenal? Can Arsenal win silverware with the current squad? Whatever your views, we'd love to hear from you.
For more Arsenal articles click here